Hardware & Software
Hardware and Software Information
Filing documents into CM/ECF electronic filing systems requires the following hardware and software:
- A personal computer running a standard platform such as Windows or Mac OS X.
- A PDF-compatible word processor like Corel WordPerfect or Microsoft Word.
- Internet service. A broadband connection (DSL or Cable Modem) is recommended.
- Internet Explorer 8 & 9
- Mozilla Firefox 15.x - 24.x
- Safari 5.1 & 6.x
- **Please note that Internet Explorer 10, 11 and Google Chrome browsers are NOT COMPATIBLE WITH CMECF**
- Software to convert documents from a word processor format to portable document format (PDF). Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional or higher is recommended. Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional, Adobe Acrobat 6 Professional, and Acrobat Writer 5.0 adequately meet the CM/ECF filing requirements.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available for free, is needed for viewing PDF documents.
- A scanner may be necessary to create electronic images of documents that are not in your word processing system.
The CM/ECF system is designed to accept only documents in Portable Document Format (PDF). This format was chosen because it allows a document to retain its pagination, formatting and fonts no matter what type of computer is used to view or print the document. It is also an open standard format. Adobe developed the format, and offers software that allows conversion of documents created in most word processing systems into PDF. This software is recommended. Several word processing programs also contain features that convert documents created in those programs into PDF. In the near future, the Courts will be migrating to a document format of PDF/A. You can see the announcement from the Clerk of Court Here. What is PDF/A Format?